Sunday, January 24, 2016

#WeeklyDoseofBRI: Growth Mindset Edition

Hello there, beautiful creatures!


Tonight, we are going to discuss this game-changing topic known as the #GrowthMindset. I had never heard of the Growth Mindset before, or the creator, Carol Dweck, for that matter. After watching a few videos  explaining and discussing the growth mindset, I found a lot of things to be rather interesting about it as well as points that I agreed with; for instance, when the word "yet" is used with a child. This word used in various manners can change a child's complete outlook on school and other parts of their lives. To receive the words "not yet" when they receive a bad grade, versus a grade of an "F" makes that child feel as though they have a second chance instead of being labeled as a failure. 

In regards to myself, I would say that I am about an 85% on the growth mindset scale when it comes to my school work. In other portions of my life, I'd give myself a 90% - 95% on the growth mindset scale. 

When I first arrived to OU, I definitely endured a major growth segment... Well more so, a reality check and THEN the growth segment. After graduation, it hadn't dawned on me that I was also graduating from the days of making A's and B's in classes that seemed difficult to other students, being apart of NHS, and NTHS, I felt that things were going to continue on that way once I got to college. BOY, was I wrong!!! The false thought of ease and and comfort were evaporated as the reality of difficulty, sleepless nights, and tears falling down my cheeks each day after class. 

I reevaluated my life.

Talked some sense into myself, as did loved ones. 

Got it together. 

But God...

The year after that, the entire script flipped, I earned a spot on the Dean's honor roll, a year after that, became a teaching assistant, became more involved on campus and in the community. 

My biggest challenges I face when learning knew things is find that spark of interest and really holding on to it. Procrastination, procrastination is also a factor as well. 

I would definitely be interested in learning more about the growth mindset simply because I believe having a mind that is open to learning new material is vital. I also have a few classes that I would like to apply this theory to this semester.  I'm confident that this growth mindset will be very beneficial for those classes. 


2 comments:

  1. We both experienced the same thing with our grades. Getting anything other than A's and B's was completely foreign to me when I came to OU. Everything about college life at OU was new to me. It was my first time living on my own and moving away from family and familiarity. I had so many more responsibilities than I was used to having. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn about growth mindset and hopefully be in a different mindset than when I started the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bri, I think you're right about the fact that if a child is told "not yet" instead of being given an F that they have a second chance. I feel like so many students just give up when they automatically receive an F on an assignment. However, you must try again in order to better yourself and your future!

    ReplyDelete