Thursday, January 21, 2016

Exploration of the UnTextbook.

So, after exploring this nifty thing called the UnTextbook, I've ran across a couple of stories that sparked my interest! Look below for the high scorers!





                                                     (Creation of Eve, by Michelangelo)

The first story that I read, and that stuck out to me was the story of Eve. After going to the biblical tab  and clicking on the link to the Women of the Bible, I was intrigued and wanted to know how these stories would differ from the stories I learned growing up in Sunday School. The story went just about as I remember, but towards the end, once God found out about Adam and Eve disobeying Him and eating the forbidden fruit, some parts of the consequences given to Adam and Eve sounded as if they just weren't going to exist at all after God got done with them.

I knew I wanted to read this story as unbiasedly as possible, as if it was nothing more than other stories I learned growing up, and I kind of felt like what I read was pretty harsh, HOWEVER, this is the KJV, which is rather difficult to understand due to the fact that is not written out in layman's terms. After reading it, and believing what I believe, I know that it wasn't harsh, because in reality, God already knew that they were going to eat the forbidden fruit because He's omniscient. So, after saying all of that... Good story. Can't wait to read other stories. (:




                                             (Cupid and Psyche, photo by M. Simoncini)

The next unit that peaked my interest was Cupid and Psyche. As you now know from reading my introduction, you're aware of the fact that I am absolutely in love with love, and with Cupid being the mythical god of love... why not!






                                                                    (Nigerian women)

The next story unit I found to be intriguing was the Unit: Nigeria. Why, you ask? Because that's the Motherland, of course. (: 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you want to read the Nigerian unit, Bri: the stories are so cool! I had a hard time deciding which African units to include because there is so much to choose from, both in terms of stories from Africa, but also the stories brought to the Americas (Jamaica, the U.S. etc.). If you are interested, Sacred Texts has an amazing collection of African storybooks online here: Sacred Texts: Africa.

    ReplyDelete