Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week One Storytelling: The Three Beauts



Once upon a time, there was a group of three stunningly beautiful young women that were admired and adored throughout their entire lives. These three young ladies were named Kenya, Deena and Alexis. From a young age, each of these girls have been their parents' prized possessions. They all had siblings, but none of their siblings could live up to the star status of these three girls. 




Kenya grew up in Washington, D.C. She was the girl that all of the guys wanted to take as their date to banquets and balls during high school. She was the captain of the presidential volleyball team. Kenya was very popular, but it seemed that she had more associates than actual friends while she was growing up. Sometimes she wished she had more friends that she could just have sleepovers with, and share all her secrets, but then she’d think to herself, “What do I need them for? I’m drop dead gorgeous!”



Deena grew up in Arlington, TX, she was the showgirl at the Texas state fair for the car show, and for the days that she wasn’t working as the showgirl, she had all of the guys from Grand Prairie High lining up to be her date to the fair each night. 
One night, when she was at the fair, she told her date to buy her a cotton candy after he had already bought her a turkey leg and lemonade. When her date told her that he didn’t bring enough money for that much food and for rides, Deena became LIVID! She began to scream at her date, not caring who overheard her verbal attack as she screamed, “Do you know who I am? Look at my hair, look at my skin! Do you know how many people would kill to take me to the fair, and you don’t even have enough money to buy me some cotton candy!”
 Before she could even see the small tear fall from her date’s eye, Deena stormed off in the opposite direction. 



Alexis grew up in Los Angeles, CA.  Just like Kenya and Deena, she was also a beauty queen, literally. Alexis had won 12 pageants in the 17 years she’d been alive. She was so rude to her parents, although they cherished her dearly. 
Even though her parents were her manager, personal bodyguard, and assistant, Alexis didn’t know when to treat them like mom and dad. Alexis was always yelling at her parents what to do and when to do it. 
Everyone thought she was so sweet, but the way she treated her parents tarnished all of that. Even though she had such an ugly personality, to her fellow contestants, Alexis was still the most beautiful girl in the competition. Often the other girls would say, “I would do ANYTHING to be her.”






The next year, Kenya, Deena and Alexis graduated from high school and all three ended up at Self Love University (SLU). The mission of SLU was to improve and promote the theory of “loving thyself.” These three girls thought that they would get A’s during their tenure at SLU.

 Just so happened, they all ended up living on the same floor and had a great RA. Their RA was trained to identify the pieces that needed to be worked on and could tell that she had her work cut out for her with these three. Every day she’d see them and hear them talk about what was so “beautiful and perfect about them.” Then she would say to herself, “Silly rabbits, within the mark of your vanity lies your largest flaw.”








I hope you all enjoyed my story! The inspiration for my story came from the Indian Fable listed below. This story really stood out to me, because it spoke a principle we should all remember to live by each day and it shows the consequences of not following a humble approach to life.

ONCE there was a great assembly of the animals in a wood. The lion said, "Look, how great my valour! 'tis this that makes me king of the woods."

The fox said, "Look, how deep my cunning! 'tis this that feeds me so well."

The peacock said, "Look, how bright my feathers! 'tis this that makes me the wonder and admiration of the wood."

The elephant said, "Look, how long and powerful my tusks! there is nothing that can resist them."

A toad, who lived secure in the heart [31] of a rock, close by, said, " 'Tis the lion's valour that leads him to the herds, and gets him killed by the hunters. 'Tis the fox's cunning that brings him to the furrier at last. 'Tis the plumes of the peacock that men covet; hence his ruin. The elephant is hunted for his tusks, and they are his bane. In the mark of your vanity is your death!"


Bibliography: 
This story is from the book, Indian Fables, by P. V. Ramaswami Raju (1887)

The picture of the crown can be found here, representing Alexis' pageant titles. 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Bri! I loved your adaptation of the Indian fable you presented. I thought it really related it to what happens a lot, especially in high school. Girls worship other girls for how beautiful or accomplished they are, and sometimes fail to see that they are not so perfect after all, and that everyone has their flaws. It was definitely an intriguing story to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bri! You did a really great job of changing the entire fable. I thought it was neat how you made it modern and easy for people to understand, as well as grasp the meaning behind the story. We all have things in our lives we need to work on within ourselves. I think you chose a good moral to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a creative way to retelling this story! I think a modernization was the perfect way to really drive the moral of the original story home. Since the original story had each animal have a different defining characteristic, I wonder what other characteristics the girls in your story could have had? Although I like the idea of these three divas fighting each other for the top slot at SLU! It was a cool idea to create the characters all around the country, and then for them to come together with the RA (finally, an authority figure who wouldn’t worship the ground they walk on!). I’m interested to know how these three beauty queens will do. It would be cool to see them become more humble and not only find new characteristics to take pride in, but to also acknowledge that there are other admirable people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bri, I love how you took this fable and modernized it! I definitely think it made it more relatable, and I know all of us have dealt with people like this from time to time! All of us need to be reminded every now and then that no one is perfect and we all have our flaws! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! This was a really great story. It had such a great lesson. It is so often that people find themselves only caring about their appearances. Your story showed that people really need to think about how they treat people. It doesn’t matter how beautiful a person is because kindness goes much further. Thank you for a very inspiring read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great story I have read of yours! I love how each story you write is wrote so differently. Yet, all of them turn out great. I love the overall lesson of this story! You did a great job of connecting each girl to the animals in the original story.
    I also though the layout of this story was done really well. How you described each girl then brought them all together. I look forward to reading more of your work!
    -Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bri! I abosolurley loved your story. I read this as a my free choice for the storybook/portfolio reading and I was so impressed. You did such a great job expanding the short fable and turning into a story that is relevant to today.

    I also liked the specific information you included about each city. How did you decide which ones to include?

    One thing that did confuse me a little bit was that the beginning of the story makes it sound like all of the girls were related. Then, it became clear while I was reading that they are not. I think maybe changing a couple words in the first paragraph could help with this!

    Overall really good job. I agree with you that this is a lesson that everyone needs to remember. I'm curious to know if you are going to do a sequel to this story? I want to know what the girls end up learning from their RA at SLU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your modern take on the Indian Fable. I think it is really neat that you were able to turn a story about animals into a very relatable story about three beautiful girls who were consumed by their own vanity.
    I like the way you formatted your story, describing each of the three girls thoroughly in separate paragraphs. These short bios of the girls were a nice inclusion. I like that the girls were all from very different regions around the country but all ended up at the same university where they all had the same issue of being obsessed with themselves. “Self Love University” (SLU) is such a clever name for the university they all decided to attend!
    I love the idea behind the whole story—that beauty isn’t everything—and the related quote that you included at the end. Humility definitely is key in life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your story! It kind of seemed like more of a get to know you session than a story even! People often forget that there is so much more to life than just being pretty. Yes, being pretty can get us a long way but it is the personality inside that truly makes a person. I cannot imagine if I were an RA for these girls and knew that it was part of my duty to help these girls find their inner beauties. Girls can be so judgmental on themselves and are hard to convince them otherwise. One thing that would help me when choosing to read this story from your portfolio is if you had more written about it in the blurb. You could saying something along the lines of, this story is about how being vain cannot get you everything, or something like that. This way I know a little bit more about what I am about to read. Great job! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bri! I really enjoyed reading your story; I thought that it was an intriguing take on the original fable. You painted your characters really well: I felt like I knew a bunch about each of the girls by the time I was done reading the description. Your author's note was also really informative and helped me understand why you stopped the story where you did. I wonder, though, if the RA ever actually ended up helping these girls to see the light?! It seems like a long road of self-discovery ahead for all three of them. And did they all go to the College of Self Love simply because they thought it would be easy? Or did they have different reasons? After all of the lovely character descriptions, those points seemed a little glossed over--what if you elaborated, maybe? It's just a thought! But anyway, like I said, I really liked your story either way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the theme of this story fits quite well with many things we've read this semester. All of the folklore and fairytales week to value seem to value the beauty of women more than anything else. I like how in your story people get punished for this. When she goes on a date, she only care about hoe much money the guy spends on her and does not care about the guy at all. I feel sorry for the guy, because she clearly does not care for him at all. This story is a great representation of a beautiful outside and an ugly inside.
    It is a very create way of retelling the original story and I think you did a good job.
    The background of your blog also kind of works well with this story, since it's a pretty girl. (I know that's not the point of the blog background but it really fits here.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Briana,

    Hello! I’m Sean. I really enjoyed the layout of the portfolio. The side images of the strong female character were definitely something that geared us toward the type of stories we were about to read. I did find that the actual readable area (the middle where the stories were) was kinda small. Is there a way to expand this a bit? I don’t think it would detract from the visual appeal. Maybe have the blog archive underneath the links that way there is more room?

    The font used was very easy to read. I liked that it was also a decent size (thank you, I hate having to blow up my screen. I’m older so these small fonts don’t work for me. Ha). Also the use of blue was very inspired as text font. Very calming.

    You have the text is centered which makes me think that it is going to be a poem, however I started reading it and it’s a story. I think aligning it to the left would be more appropriate to set appropriate expectations for the reader.

    The actual story was really cool. I could definitely follow where the story was going and how the three ended up. I most definitely liked the university of self love! I wonder what would have happened if you had the three of them have a confrontation? How would that resolve and then allow the RA to give their nugget of wisdom afterward?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Briana,
    First I just want to comment on the layout of your blog; it is really great, I like it a lot! Great job on this story as well, you did a wonderful job recreating and modernizing this fable. This was so interesting to me, I took a look at the original story as well and was very pleased. This is a classic how outer appearances can be deceiving and that person can actually be really ugly on the inside. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Briana! Like many of the others who have already commented, I really enjoyed your retelling of this story. It was great how you broke the paragraphs up and how your descriptions of each of the girls was very detailed but also not too long. When I got to your author's note, I really started to notice all of the changes you had made from the original. I like that you changed the characters and the setting but that you kept the original message alive. I agree that the lesson of not being too vain is an important one that all of us can benefit from hearing every now and again. You did a great job! Also reading your stories on a blog looking like this with the colors and the repetitive background image made it a really great experience. The look and layout of your blog are well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Bri! First off I love the layout of your blog! The background is so cute and I can tell you are a creative and fun spirited person! I read your story, The Three Beauts, this week for the project feedback assignment and love it! It was so interesting and written in such a creative way! I like how you described each girl in different paragraphs and made the descriptions very specific in details and very real! I thought it was so funny how they attended Self Love University together. I feel like this story mimics real life because some high school divas, who think they are perfect and are very full of themselves, go to college and realize they have to grow up and become a nice and well rounded person. I think you did a fantastic job of adapting this Indian Fable into such an interesting and different story!

    ReplyDelete