Monday, February 1, 2016

Storytelling, Week 3: Diary, Can You Keep A Secret?


Dear Diary...

This particular story is a mixture of the biblical stories of Sarah and Abraham, Hagar, as well as Susannah. I wanted to create a story that incorporated all of their life lessons and struggles into one that would be presented in a more layman’s terms, in a fashion that would be more applicable to today’s society. Now I present to you the first few entries of Rohtua’s diary. I hope you enjoy!




Dear Diary, 

3.5.29

This isn’t fair! All I wanted was a child! I can remember now as if it was yesterday, all of my classmates talking about the type of lives that they wanted to live once they graduated from college and got their careers and personal lives situated like they wanted. Never in a million years did I think that my same thoughts I shared about my hopes and dreams wouldn’t become a reality. I mean some of the things that I wanted for myself did come to fruition, just not the pieces that I really wanted for myself. For instance, I have been very successful throughout my life, I’ve created my own Public Relations firm, I’ve been married to the love of my life for the past 40 years, but the one thing that I think would have made life so much better, so much more worthwhile, I wasn’t able to obtain that one; children. My husband Marc and I have tried for soo long until we finally decided that it just wasn’t meant to be for us. 


So here we are, 60 and 72 years old, no children, no grand children and I hear so much about these young girls that are having kids left and right with this whole PartnrLife program that has been around for about the past decade now. This PartnrLife program is something that was crafted to give partners the opportunity to welcome additional spouses into their households. I just heard on the news about this couple, Keith and Sasha who brought in two other girls into their lives to have more children. I’ll have to look more into that and see what I really think about this type of stuff. 


5.3.29


On the news today, I heard a report about a prominent young girl that was accused of having an affair with the gardener. Everyone knew that this couldn’t be the case, she and her husband were so happy together. They had just had their second child a year ago and were excited about trying for their third. 

Not only is this going on in their lives, I have a big confession to make right now. No one else knows but I have to share it somehow and since you’re my diary, you are my best bet. 

I’m not sure if I shared this with you, but Marc and I decided to try out this new PartnrLife program and we got two young ladies to come help around the house. There was one young lady that I suggested my husband try to have a baby with, ya know, so we could have someone that could pass along our family name. Gizzie got pregnant and had a son named Eli. At first, I was so happy that this little bundle of joy came into the world, but after a couple of weeks, I started to get so jealous and angry. So angry that SHE was the one that had the child with such ease and I had been trying for YEARS. 

Can you keep a secret? I don’t know what I should do, or what I even want to do, but I really think I just want to tell them to leave. Just pack up and leave! I know I should have thought this whole thing through before I made this decision but I just can’t stand for this anymore. I feel like my husband loves Gizzie and their child more than he loves me. 


6.3.29


Hello there again… I know you were just waiting for an update and I totally have one for you. Gizzie and her son… They. Are. Gone! I had too. It took Marc a while to get over it, but he did because I am his wife, his love. I’m so glad we could work this situation out for now. 


You remember that other situation with that prominent girl accused of having an affair with the gardener? Well she was one step away from being locked up, but this kid named Daniel came forward out of nowhere, said that he knew what really happened and could prove it! Turns out, she was innocent the whole entire time and the gardener had been lying since the beginning. That sounds like a miracle or the work of God to me. Well, until next time. 





Peace, love and blessings.



Rohtua.


(Photo of diary, from Squire of Cydonia)
Bibliography
"BibleGateway." .com: A Searchable Online Bible in over 100 Versions and 50 Languages. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2016. https://www.biblegateway.com

5 comments:

  1. Briana,
    Nice story, it was entertain to read something different. Besides the story style of the original myths. Reading in the form of a diary was something new, I liked it. I wasn't really sure where you based your story form though, since I am not familiar with Sarah and Abraham. Some more background information would be nice.

    Your blog is very crisp and clean. It leads to very smooth reading. It is also nice how you broke up the diary entires with a few spaces in-between. The font is also very clear, nice work. The picture does add nice though to the set the whole diary theme in your head. It might be better if it was an image of a character though, just something to consider. That way it would really add an image to the mind.

    I think your blog title is very cleaver, the hashtag really adds to it. Overall I believe you are doing a great job with your blog. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Briana!

    I really enjoyed reading your blog and thought it was a good decision into making it a diary. It's true, a lot of girls/women have diaries that are their ways of letting off steam or getting something off their chests. When it is too hard to talk to someone else they just write it down. I really enjoyed how it was very spaced out and easy to read! It also was written very well and I could've kept going! I can't imagine if I was her and not able to have children. I don't know how it would feel to watch everyone else in the world be able to become pregnant and me be the only one not to, especially having such a loving husband. I loved your blog and hope to read more from you later on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The style you used was just so interesting and exciting. I think you did a great job on creating a story in a diary form. I was enjoying reading your post because I am totally new to this style and that attracts my attention. Also you did such a fantastic job. I feel bad for her because the way you have written was so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Briana, great story! I loved the format and theme of the story using a diary type theme and putting the dates at the top of each "diary entry" too. I also love the picture, its very simple but it gives the audience an image of someone thinking/writing in their diary every night before they go to bed. Not only did I like the theme but the storyline and plot were really creative as well and I thought you wrote very powerfully. It is powerful because there are TONS of people (not necessarily just in this class) but in the whole WORLD that can relate to not being able to a child. I think you hit home with this topic with a lot of people and a lot of people deal with this stuff too. I cant imagine not being able to have the one thing that makes a family and that is indeed a child. Very powerful story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana, I really liked this story! I really liked that you were able to write a "Dear Diary" story without it being boring. I thought it was interesting that you chose to talk about someone not being able to have a child, welcoming another lady in their house to conceive their child, and then getting jealous! I think that is totally relatable because a lot of people in modern times aren't able to conceive and then look at other options. I wonder if Marc fought with Rohtua about sending his child out of the house? I wonder if he ever went to go see his child? Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete