Monday, February 1, 2016

You Get A Topic, You Get A Topic, We All Get A Topic!

You Get A Topic, You Get A Topic, We All Get A Topic!

Do you know what time it is? It is time to choose a topic, but don’t fret, we don’t have to narrow it down to the final decision quite yet, just the top four contenders. My top four choices are South Africa folktales, Jamaican stories, Bible stories and religious topics, and fairytales and nursery rhymes. 

I chose South Africa folktales because after first looking over the different unit topics in the UNtextbook, I knew that I wanted to give a lot of attention to stories and story lines that incorporate Black backgrounds and characters because I feel like that is lacking in a lot of areas. Although my blogs aren’t reaching a mass audience, it is still vitally important that the audience I do reach sees the representation of the beautiful black heritage and all branches of it. 

The next unit I chose, as a possible topic choice, was Jamaican stories for a combination of the reasons I choice the South Africa folktales. I also though that it would be a great source of inspiration to use Jamaican stories as a topic because that’s just an exciting culture. When I read that the dialect in the stories would be of the common speech in Jamaica, that’s what really sparked my interest. Can you think of all of the cool characters that could be born from these stories and the speech used?! I can. (: 

Next up, Bible stories. You’ve probably guessed that I have an appreciation for Biblical stories and the history there of. Growing up in the church house, I remember some of these stories but now that I am older, I’d like to gain a better understanding and see how my feelings of the stories now compare to my past sentiments. I also want to look at it from an unbiased viewpoint. I feel too often that individuals with a strong traditional religious background view everything in the Bible as the only way, or acceptable. I want to look at these stories from a slightly less biased viewpoint and appreciate them for what they are and how I presently interpret them. 

My last choice was Fairytales and Nursery Rhymes. I chose this topic as a final candidate because I thought it would be interesting to turn these childhood nursery rhymes into a story that progresses with age, as if the character have grown up. For instance, if the main character is about a little lamb attempting to conquer a task, in the story, the lamb will now be a teenager or a young adult. Regardless of the story, this principle can be applied and will make for an interesting story line, in my opinion. Also, although some may be common, I know that some of these stories I have yet to hear throughout my life so this will be a good way for me to learn a little more about the nursery rhymes and fairytales that are out there in the book of the world.

Buckle your seat belts and get ready for the #StorybookRidewithBri!

Image: Storytelling photo, creator unknown, found on the Lehman College site

No comments:

Post a Comment