Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Reading Diary Week 14: The Princess and the Pea

(illustration by Dulac)



Today's reading diary is focused on the story of the princess and the pea that is at the bottom of her countless mattresses and bedding. When I saw the picture for the story, I knew exactly which store I was about to read because I remember it from growing up. Besides the known plot of what happened in the story, i can reiterate it for those of you that may not know or remember it. Basically, the prince wants a princess, but he keeps running into the wanna be princesses, who are probably just gold diggers that want him for his riches. So he goes home sad, back to mama's house, because he can't find the princess of his dreams. Then on a rainy night, the doorbell rings and there she is, a real princess, well at least she says she is. In order to spare her son from any further heart break, the queen sets up a plan to determine if she really is a princess or not. She puts a pea at the bottom of twenty mattresses, knowing that if she was a real princess, she would know that they were there.
That next morning, the queen asked the princess how she slept, and she responded “Oh, very badly!” said she. “I have scarcely closed my eyes all night. Heaven only knows what was in the bed, but I was lying on something hard, so that I am black and blue all over my body. It’s horrible!”

And the rest is history, after that. The queen realized that she was a real princess and so did the prince. The prince and princess got married and lived happily ever after. The end.

This story is part of the Andersen Fairy Tales unit. Story source: Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

No comments:

Post a Comment